Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some frequently asked questions about renting.  If you don't find what you're looking for please contact the leasing office for more information.  Please check office hours for each location or you can call or e-mail us.

Can I smoke in my apartment?

      NO.  The property is smoke free. There is no smoking anywhere in the building, including your apartment.  Smoking in your unit is a lease violation resulting I'm a fine and will lead to eviction. This is for the safety and health of all residents, guests and staff.

Can I share or duplicate my security door key?

       NO.  This is a lease violation.  All non-residents must be buzzed into the building by you.  This is a secure building and keys cannot be shared.  If you           would like to authorize someone to have a security door key on your behalf, contact the office.  There is a $35 key deposit required and a form to be completed and signed by both you and the non-resident key holder.  They will also have to provide a vaild Photo ID to the office.

Can I share or duplicate my apartment key?

      You may duplicate your unit key for someone else to use.  That key should be returned when you move out and turn in all your unit keys. It should be        used in case of emergency, and not general access.  Non-residents should not be allowed to stay in your apartment when you are not present.

When is my rent due?

      Rent is due on the 1st of each month and is considered late at 5:00 pm on the 5th.  There is a late fee charged to your account if your rent is not                  received on time and in full. See your lease for additional information.  There is a $50 late fee for rent not paid in full by the 5th of the month.

Who should I make my check/money order payable to?

      Please make all checks and money orders payable to LFR OHIO PROPERTIES. Be sure that your name and unit number are noted on your check.                Please make sure payees put your name on the checks so that your account will be properly credited.

How can I pay my rent?

      Rent can be paid by mail or in person to: LFR Ohio Properties.  We accept personal checks, bank checks or money orders. We do not accept debit or          credit cards and cash is never accepted.

Where should checks/money orders be sent if mailed?

      Please mail to the main office located at Blume Alumni Apartments, 407 S. Blackhoof St., Wapakoneta, OH 45895

What are the office hours?

      Blume Alumni/Sunrise  office is open Monday, Wednesday from 9 PM to 5:00 PM:.  We are closed for lunch from 12:00 PM-1 PM.

      Canal Place Apartments office is open Monday and Thursday from 9 AM to 5 PM.  We are closed for lunch from 12:00 PM-1 PM.

      The offices are closed on Friday for administrative duties.  Phones will not be answered so please leave a message.

If the Office is closed, how can I pay my rent?

      You can leave you check/money order in the mail slot located outside the office.  Dropbox slots are located next to the office door at Canal Place or in        the foyer at the entrance of Blume Alumni Apartments inside the glass doors.  Please specify your unit number in the memo field of your check so that your account can be properly credited.  You may pick up a receipt during regular office hours if needed.

What are acceptable forms of rent payment?

       Acceptable forms of rent payments are personal checks (from a tenant/payee), Cashiers Checks or Money Orders, CASH IS NEVER ACCEPTED.

       If checks are returned for insufficient funds, you will be charged an additional $35.00 and will have pay the rent using a money order or bank check.

How do I make a request for a maintenance problem?

      All maintenance requests must be made through a written work order. You can print the Maintenance Request Form or find a form in the bin outside the offices. If no one is there, leave in the mailbox or put in the mail slot next to the office. 

       If you have an after hour maintenance  emergency, please call the office and leave a message.  If you do not leave a message, you will not receive a call    back, no matter what the hour is.  Only emergency calls will be returned, all others will be returned the next business day.

Where do I submit a work order when the office is closed?

      You can leave all written work order requests in the mail slots if the office is not open.  If It is an emergency*, please call the office and leave a                      message.  Someone will get back to you as quickly as possible.

What is considered an emergency for a work order?

       Emergencies include: loss of heat, air conditioning (if windows don't open), water leaks or active water floods, electrical issues that can be dangerous,        fire, strong gas odor.  A burned out light stove burner out, or low water flow is not considered and emergency.  These types of issues will be addressed             during regular business hours.

      If the power is out in the entire building, there is nothing we can do until the utility company restores the power.  Please do not call the office if the there is a power outage.  You can call the local utility provider to see if they are experiencing any power outages and when they expect to have the  power restored.

      Be prepared and have a flashlight available with working batteries in the event of a power outage.  Remember, you cannot burn candles in the building.

What should I do if my smoke detector beeps?

     Never remove the battery from your smoke detector and not replace it with a new one, or remove it from the wall.  This is considered a  lease violation.    They are installed for your safety and the safety of your neighbors.  Please contact the office and they will replace the battery and reset the alarm.

In the case of an emergency in my unit, what do I do?

       If this is an after hours emergency, please call the office number and leave a number to call you back. There are times when staff is involved in other projects or off duty and may not get to immediately.  Please notify the office if the problem worsens before maintenance is able to get to your unit.

       If it is a medical emergency, call 911 immediately for assistance.

How long should I plan to wait to hear back from someone regarding a maintenance problem?

       In a non-emergency situation, please allow three days. If you have not heard from our office in five days, please contact us again.  Work orders are completed based on severity of the problem or repair and staff schedules.

What am I responsible for maintaining in my unit?

      You are responsible for maintaining a clean unit, including appliances, floors and carpets. Energy saving light bulbs have been provided for your unit in all fixtures.  Please see office if you need additional bulbs. Cabinets, walls, and doors should be kept clean and free of excessive large holes and marks as         much as possible.  Wall hooks should be used to hang photos and other wall decorations.  Entry ways should always be clear of debris and furniture.

       If you notice issues regarding plumbing, heating, etc., you need to report to the leasing office immediately through a work order so that repairs can be scheduled.  Please refer to your individual residential lease or handbook for more information.  Do not try to repair yourself.

What does my security deposit cover?

      Your security deposit covers any repairs needed when you leave your unit that are not due to normal wear and tear due to daily use.  If the cost of the        damages exceeds your deposit amount, you are responsible for the remaining balance owed.

Can I use my security deposit to cover my last months rent?

      No.  You are responsible to pay your last months rent in full.

Do I need approval to paint or change something in the unit I am renting?

      Yes.  Any and all changes or modifications to the property must be requested in writing to LFR Ohio Properties for approval before any changes are  made.  See your rental agreement for additional information.

Do I need renter's insurance?

      As Tenants / Renters you are not homeowners, but you still have exposure to many of the same types of losses. That is why there is a special type of homeowner's insurance called tenant's or renter's insurance. Landlord's/Owner's insurance does not cover tenant for personal loss or liability. We                       highly recommend that you have a renter's policy to cover your personal items. 

       First and foremost, tenants should be aware their personal property is not covered by the landlord's insurance policy. Tenants are responsible for obtaining insurance for their personal property if they want to be covered in the event of fire, theft, or other type of loss.

       Other Types of Insurance available to renters:

           1.     At home or away...
                  These are other types of loss that renter's insurance protects against include, in addition to fire and theft, a range of other losses or                                                   perils. A significant benefit is that renter's insurance covers personal property whether that property is damaged or stolen in the                                                       tenant's own rental unit or in another location.
           2.    Weather or not...
                   In most policies, renter's insurance provides coverage for damage caused by windstorms, hail, explosions, vandalism, a riot or civil                                                   disturbance, and even a volcano! It's important to note damage caused by earthquake or flood must be purchased separately with                                                 an endorsement to the renter's policy or an additional policy.
            3.   Category Limits for valuables...
                   Like other types of homeowner's insurance, a renter's policy also limits coverage for some categories of personal property, such as                                                 jewelry, furs, silverware and other types of valuables. Tenants should check with their insurance agent to find out what other                                                             categories may have limited coverage under their renter's insurance policy. If the value of their property in any of those categories                                                   exceeds the limit, tenants may be able to increase the coverage for the specific category on their renter's policy, or insure those                                                       items separately. (If they choose to insure or schedule their valuable items separately, they may receive broader coverage and                                                         lower deductibles on those items.)

           4.     Liability coverage why tenants need it ...
                   In addition to coverage for their personal property, a renter's policy also provides liability coverage. Tenants may wonder why   they                                               need liability coverage when the landlord's policy has it. The answer is simple: because the landlord's insurance only covers landlord's                                             liability. It doesn't cover the tenant's liability. Renter's insurance covers the tenant's liability up to a set limit, as long as the tenant did                                             not intentionally cause the loss. Liability coverage isn't just limited to damage to others or other's property that occurs inside the                                                     tenant's residence. It also covers legal defense expenses and the renter's liability outside the home.

Can I terminate my lease before it expires?

      Yes.  You are required per your rental agreement to give a written notice at least forty five (45) days prior to your move -out date.  However, if you               terminate your lease during the first year, you are responsible for the balance left on your lease. Failure to provide this notice will result in loss of your              security deposit.  Your security deposit cannot be used as your last month's rent.  You will still need to pay your last month's rent on time and in full.  Be          sure to leave a forwarding address.

      Notice to Vacate Forms and Move Out Guidelines are available from the leasing office as well as online.   Contact your property manager as soon as             possible to discuss this situation in detail.

What do I need to do when I move out?

        You need to notify the office your are leaving. You will also want to be sure to get the Move Out Guidelines for additional information.  A move out             inspection will be scheduled for the final move-out date with the leasing office.  Any damages/repairs will be noted just like when you moved into             the unit.  It is to your benefit to be there for this inspection and to make sure your unit is completely empty and broom swept clean.  Any repairs or                   removal of trash, personal items or furniture will be deducted from your deposit, and any balance owed will be sent to a credit collection company


  • You will be charged rent whether or not you are staying in the apartment until your keys are returned to the office.  Failure to return your keys will lead to an eviction so that we can regain possession of the unit.
  • The unit needs to be left clean and in broom-swept condition.
  • Schedule a move-out inspection with the office to do a final walk through so you know what you are being charged for.
  • All personal items, furniture and trash needs to be removed from your unit to avoid additional charges.  Furniture can not be left in OR near the dumpster, or in any common areas.  Removing all items from the unit is at the resident's expense.  If we move it, you will be charged.

What happens if only one roommate wants to move out?

      Contact the leasing office directly for the necessary forms to remove one roommate from the lease paperwork and/or have a new roommate added.         Your property manager will discuss the roommate transfer fee as well as the procedures for handling the security deposit.

How do I get my security deposit back?

      You must comply with your lease agreement, and give 45 days written notice of your intent to vacate the property. Once you have completely moved      out and returned all your keys, and a move-out inspection has been completed, a request for all or partial security deposit will be submitted to upper               management.  A refund check will be mailed to you within 30 days of lease termination.  Please make sure we have a forwarding address for you to                 speed up delivery.

Will I get my security deposit back if I am evicted?

       No.  Because you have been evicted, your lease has been violated and will go towards damages and charges, and you will not get your security deposit     back.

How long can guests stay in my unit?

      Guests can stay in your unit for no more than 14 days per your lease agreement.  You will be ticketed if they stay longer than that.  If there is an                     extenuating circumstance, please contact the office immediately.  Exceptions can be made on a case by case situation.

Can we have pets?

      Yes.  There is an additional deposit  and monthly fee for each. Cats and dogs under 30 pounds (full grown) are allowed with prior written  approval from     management. Cats need to be declawed.  The pet deposit is $100 for the first pet and is not refundable.  There is an additional $50 deposit fee for                  puppies and kittens under the age of one.  There is a monthly fee of $20 for cats and other approved small animals, and  $25 for dogs. Applications are           available from the leasing office or on line.

       All pets need to have to be approved and have current veterinary records on file in the office.   All dogs must be licensed with the city and have current    tags.  Puppy pads are not allowed, and owners must take their dogs outside and clean up after their pet.  If you are not able to take your dog outside for        business, then you should not have a dog, please consider a cat.  Visiting pets are not allowed in the building.

How many pets can I have?

       No more than 2 pets are allowed per unit.

Do you allow service and companion animals?

     Yes, service animals are allowed under the American Disabilities Act of 1990.  Updated veterinary documents are required as well as license information.    Companion animals need to be approved by management  with appropriate documentation and need verified by a doctor or other professional.                      Please contact the leasing office for additional information.